Saturdays beginning at 1 p.m., slice, dice, braise, and bake along with CPTV’s Saturday Afternoon Cooking Block. Each week, don’t miss a marathon of beloved PBS cooking programs, including the most popular how-to-cook show on television: America’s Test Kitchen.
Airing Saturdays at 2 p.m., America’s Test Kitchen is hosted by Julia Collin Davison and Bridget Lancaster. The series features equipment reviews, taste tests, and recipes for the home cook. Learn which recipes and techniques work best and why — with the science to back it up! For more on America’s Test Kitchen, click here.
Plus, enjoy this week’s Recipe of the Week, courtesy of America’s Test Kitchen. Check it out below, and do some “testing” of your own — cook it, taste it, even take a photo and post it on social media! You can tag CPTV on Facebook (@CPTV) or Twitter (@CPTVonline). Bon appetit!
CPTV recently hosted an evening with Julia and Bridget at the Pond House Cafe in West Hartford. To see photos from the event, click here>>
Egyptian Barley Salad
Serves 6 to 8
NOTE: Do not substitute hulled barley or hull-less barley in this recipe. If using quick-cooking or presteamed barley (read the ingredient list on the package to determine this), you will need to decrease the barley cooking time in step 1.
- 1½ cups pearl barley
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for serving
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅓ cup golden raisins
- ½ cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup shelled pistachios, toasted and chopped coarse
- 3 ounces feta cheese, cut into ½-inch cubes (¾ cup)
- 6 scallions, green parts only, sliced thin
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
1. Bring 4 quarts water to boil in Dutch oven. Add barley and 1 tablespoon salt, return to boil, and cook until tender, 20 to 40 minutes. Drain barley, spread onto rimmed baking sheet, and let cool completely, about 15 minutes.
2. Whisk oil, molasses, cinnamon, cumin, and ½ teaspoon salt together in large bowl. Add barley, raisins, cilantro, and pistachios and gently toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spread barley salad evenly on serving platter and arrange feta, scallions, and pomegranate seeds in separate diagonal rows on top. Drizzle with extra oil and serve.